background

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

mylaraphobia

Mylaraphobia (mI-"lär-&-fO-bE-&)noun Fear of Mylar balloons

Signs & Symptoms: Screaming, shrieking, crying, and shaking when in the presence of a mylar balloon. Symptoms may become more severe when the balloon takes the shape of Red Hat.


The kids and I went to Albertsons to pick up a few things and the bakery department was having a photo shoot that day for Easter and Mother's Day ads. They had a bunch of balloons and gave a couple to my kids. Little Sister picked out a pink balloon, but then wouldn't go near it. Little Boy picked out the Red Hat Society balloon and proudly carried it around the store. The balloon floated near Little Sister's head and she immediately began screaming, clinging to me, and was genuinely terrified. She told me later that night "Mom, the balloon scares me. I freaked out!"

The balloons mysteriously disappeared while the kids were asleep. We have no future plans for Mylar balloons in our home.

11 comments:

Rachelle said...

Poor lil girl! I've never heard of that fear before!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I'm not terribly afraid of mylar. I am, however, scared to death of the red hat society. Don't tell my grandma who is (and I'm totally not kidding) the "Sergeant-in-gloves" of her local chapter. She even made her own hat.

Lei said...

poor thing!

sheri said...

Hopefully it's too hot in AZ for mylar balloons :)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of that. I bet she was freaked out, poor girl.

Lee said...

Poor girl! I am trying to not giggle though.. I can totally picture it.

Heather said...

Oh so cute!

Anonymous said...

This still makes me giggle. Poor poor little sister and her Freaking Out.

Anonymous said...

I watched a talk show that talked about strange phobias and one woman really had that phobia of balloons. I love her.....and miss you all.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Poor Little Sister. But if it makes her feel better, a nephew of mine is seriously freaked out by balloons that get too close to him, too. He'll be 8 in a couple weeks!

Lee said...

So I get that life has been busy, but you really can't just ignore all of your blogging audience. We miss you.